Labor Relations Director - $160-190k plus 15% bonus
Kansas City, KS
$160-190k plus 15% bonus
Kansas City, KS - relocation assistance available
Bell & Associates has been engaged to help our client find their next Labor Relations Director. Our client is a leading global provider of specialty catalysts, materials, chemicals, and services that enable environmental improvements, enhance consumer products, and increase personal safety. The Director of Labor Relations will lead the Industrial Relations function in all matters affecting the represented and management represented workforce in plant operations. Included are labor relations, employee relations, non-union wage increases, organization effectiveness, union organization prevention, and governmental compliance.
- Develop corporate labor relations objectives in support of company strategies, policies and philosophies.
- Establish collective bargaining goals to achieve contract settlements that are aligned with corporate objectives, budgetary guidelines, and accepted Company and industry practices.
- Prepare and possibly conduct arbitration cases/deal with the EEOC (with legal representation) on complaints and investigations.
- Act as the official company spokesperson in the collective bargaining process and on all other occasions where the formulation, interpretation and administration of labor relations policy and/or legislation is required, e.g., grievances, arbitrations, EEOC and National Labor relations Board hearings.
- Establish and monitor programs and practices to prevent union or third party representation or intervention at non-union locations. Direct all company efforts to refute such representation. Direct similar efforts at non-union location if union employees express a desire to become non-union.
- Conduct investigations into employee complaints and implement appropriate corrective actions. This includes specific employee complaints, harassment complaints, conduct complaints/suspicions, Cardinal Rule violations and Concern Line complaints.
- Evaluate salaried and hourly compensation programs to ensure compliance with company policy and to provide for internal and external equity.
- Communicate new benefit programs and changes to existing programs to all employees at plant locations.
- Coordinate wage increases for the non-union plants.
- Act as a sounding board for Operations Management and influence their decisions consistent with the Company Philosophy on fair treatment of all employees and compliance with the applicable collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Coordinate terminations of both hourly and salaried employees. Develop and execute general releases when appropriate.
- Provide consulting services to ensure employee development consistent with corporate objectives and individual timetables by working closely with the VP of Talent Management.
- Provide individual and group training within the human resources discipline for legal compliance and employee development as assigned by the VP of Talent Management.
- Research new legislation and develop policies and procedures to ensure that all activities within the areas of responsibilities comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Provide training and guidance to management as needed on such policies and procedures. Direct efforts of outside legal counsel when situations of a complex nature exist.
- Be able to go into very tense situations and successfully resolve issues without alienating the management team, unions, or employees.
- Participate in the professional recruitment and internal placement process as needed. Will be involved in plant management recruiting.
- Participate in the design and negotiation of benefit plans as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources/Labor Relations or related field (Master’s Degree would be preferable)
- 10+ years of Labor Relations experience with a demonstrated track record as first chair in contract negotiations.
- 5+ years in managing the HR function at multiple sites (3 or more sites).
- 3+ years of HR generalist experience in addition to the above labor relations experience is required with a working knowledge in recruiting, employee development, payroll, benefit design, compensation, and all areas of HR.
- Experience in managing multiple Union Business Agents and develop an effective working relationship with them.
- Experience in investigating complex employee issues including successful resolution.
- Grievance adjudication experience including arbitration preparation with arbitration advocate experience as a plus.
- Experience in handling EEOC Complaints and working with counsel during EEOC investigations.
- Experience in managing Unfair Labor Practice Charges or DOL Complaints with counsel is required.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments in the Labor area of Human Resources.
- Strong influencing skills with solid knowledge of Labor/Employment Law.
- Ability to navigate ambiguous situation and resolve successfully
- Strong team player. Must be able to build relationships with the HR team from a remote location as well as the corporate operations teams.
- Strong Leadership Skills. Must be able to effectively communicate and influence both horizontally and vertically throughout the organization. Needs to build respect within all level of the organization to gain the necessary credibility required to be successful in this position.
- Multi-site HR responsibility is a must.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to manage several issues at one time is critical for the position.
- Strong analytical skills required to analyze contract and grievance costs and have the required insight into investigations to get to the actual facts.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) required.
- Strong presentation skills required
- Travel is approximately 50%
Bell & Associates, Inc. was recently recognized by Forbes list of Best Professional Recruiting Firms in America - https://www.forbes.com/best-professional-recruiting-firms/list/3/#tab:overall
BETTER TALENT. BETTER OPPORTUNITY. FIND IT HERE.
Bell & Associates, Inc. is a recognized Executive Recruiting & Staffing leader based in Kansas City. We focus and specialize in the following practice areas - Accounting/Finance, Engineering, Executive Leadership, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Human Resources, Information Technology, Manufacturing/Operations Management. We provide top talent to our clients on a Direct Hire, Contract, and Contract-to-Hire basis.